Sunday, March 4, 2012

Catching the Spirit of Children: A Craft Show Reflection




It is enjoyable to sit back and watch eyes come alive as people glance into our booth.  Sometimes those eyes belong to children~ do you remember my tale of of the boy and his roll of coins?   Did I tell you he came back this year with a twenty dollar bill?  I still gave him a discount.  I can do that.

So anyway yesterday there was this girl, who became entranced with Margaret's mosaics.  She came back five times to glow in front of the crosses and frames that had caught more than her eye.  Her spirit was leaping for joy.  Now this is where I get to experience parenting and I have seen parents react in many a way.  I can imagine the frustration one would experience to have your child in love with something, but not having the income to purchase it or knowing the child was going to fall in love with eight more types of craft before the day is over.  This parent did a nice job, she stood back and gave the girl time to enjoy.  I made no attempt to make a sale.  Why get a parent frustrated with me and then likely transfer that to the child.

Ten minutes after her last visit to our booth, I saw her spirit enjoying another booth.  Yes, let that spirit fall in love with color and design... the craft of human hands, hearts and souls.

Another girl comes into our booth.  Later Margaret will tell me that she had been visiting my sun catchers a few times.  Mom says, "If I buy this for you, you know I won't be getting you anything for a long time."  I sit and watch, for this is not my conversation until the child says yes.  Then I am there holding the glass, figuring out tax and change, and handing a bag to a nine year old, who chose my art as a special something in her life.  Yes, we dig the on-line sales, but really can an e-mail announcing a sale beat something like that.

12 comments:

  1. I wonder how many times each day someone, somewhere, is looking at a piece of your work and enjoying thoughts and reactions that would not otherwise come to mind. I was doing exactly that yesterday with the suncatcher that hangs in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing this. I am so glad that you take the time to enjoy the glass.

      Delete
  2. This is a great story. I've never thought of craft shows from the perspective of a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, glad I experienced it and glad you stumbled here to read my story

      Delete
  3. Great story. Experiences like these probably make you realize it's all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, craft shows are arduous to say the least, so it is indeed important to remember what can happen at them

      Delete
  4. What a treasure to have children come alive throught seeing your work (and the work of others.) You have captured the eloquence of that show so beautifully. Love that quilted glass, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a gift they receive from their parents who bring them out to see what can emerge in a studio

      Delete
  5. that is so wonderful to hear about. i totally enjoyed this story...

    ReplyDelete
  6. How spectacular it is to see the magic in a child's eyes. What a spectacular story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a spectacular thing to watch the eyes and faces of those who connect with our art

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.