Friday, August 31, 2012

Meeting Mosaic Woman

47... 1   starting a new journey, as I did in 1986

 What mattered was the book inside the red pannier

It was 1986 and I may have been lacking direction. I had just earned my BS in Biology and chose to ride my bicycle to the Catskills. Info on 20-30 graduate programs were being examined. I was at home with my parents. I began to tutor at a community college where i had turned my life around a few years earlier. It was in a room attached to the library.

If memory serves me correct, I saw her first in the library, but I knew I would later see her in the tutoring center. I was tutoring science. Mosaic Woman was tutoring philosophy. I remember telling a friend I had seen someone special before I could say I had spoken to her.

In college many a friend had recommended that I Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, so I read it while I camped in the Catskills. There was something in that book that reminded me of something she was tutoring, so one day I asked her if she had read it. Were we at the cafeteria?

How long was that initial conversation? Long enough, for many more would happen.


and here we are... 


at a Christopher Ries exhibit, looking reflective and blue

at a Great Lake, looking jazz festival hip

at the Oregon shore a few years after we met, looking slightly less gray

8 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post... two very lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn ~ thanks. thinking it is time to ask Mosaic Woman if she wants to see the Blue Moon

      Delete
  2. What a sweet post! And they lived happily ever after :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to log as many years and create as much beauty as the two of you. What a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.