Monday, January 14, 2008

living up to my expectations





My first post to this blog was inspired by the man playing piano above and when I saw him last night.... wow. four tunes in he went solo on "Tea For Two" and then "How Great Thou Art" after which he played to pieces favored by Elvis Presley. Cyrus Chestnut has taken some criticism for having a whole Cd of these songs which Elvis sang, though I have not heard any complaints about his playing on that recent CD. The man played everything from Bach to Ellington and did another hymn in the second set. I closed my eyes and truly listened to what Cyrus had to say to us.

I wanted to have this blog be about my whole life and it has been that way so far... Ignatius, Strudel, quilts, teaching, gardening, stained glass, mosaic woman, my church community

tonight I sat with Bartimaeus (Mark 10: 46-52). Jesus was leaving his town. It was now or never see again. I sat listening to him call out to Jesus. I heard the desperation, the hope, the desire. Was it mine? I have not felt so close to Jesus through the exercises for days.

What would I do if I had that one chance to call out and Jesus stopped and said to me, "What do you want me to do for you?" One last chance, would I ignore those around me to be quiet and call out for mercy. Would I desire it as much as Bartimaeus? something happened to me tonight.

Last night Cyrus let an 18 year old take the piano. As he left the young man to play, Cyrus said, "You may never have get this chance to play again..." When Cyrus came back up, he said to the young man, "I want to see what you got in four years, you have been served!"

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that Jesus asked people so often what they wanted, even though he knew. I'm not sure what I would say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kievas-- sit in silence and let the question arise...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.