Friday, March 15, 2013

Talking Technology with the RevGals

The gates I go through to escape
the internet
The RevGal prompt is about technology this week

Although you won't know this, I am pre-posting this ten days ahead of schedule, because my husband and I are going to be in Washington State during his spring break (from teaching at a local community college). His parents have very recently moved into a senior living facility. We will be staying at their home, which will not have some of the furniture and supplies like we are used to. What I am dreading is no computer, tv or telephone, which also means no wifi connection. This is showing my dependence upon these technologies.

For this Friday Five, let us explore our use of and desire for such items.

1. What types of technologies, like cell phones, computers, tvs, etc., do you routinely use? How frequently?

I can go days without using my cell phone and also the TV. However, the roku box and streaming netflix has it on a bit more often. The computer is daily, the iPad and iPod Touch are also daily. Stereos play jazz at work at home and while traveling. I use the Ipod in my car since it connects easily with my stereo.  

2. What social media and/or games do you like to play? How often? On which device do you occupy yourself? Which method of social media do you prefer?

Games none. Facebook and Twitter is most often for social media, which means throughout a day. I also hang around Flickr, Pinterest, and Instagram but less often and not everyday. iPad has become device of choice at home except for Flickr, because I tend to use images I have taken on my camera and transferred to the computer.

3. Do you separate online activities between home and work? Or is it all the same everywhere? 

 I teach.  I check e-mail and facebook at lunch but otherwise I am not on it.

4. Do you have a smart (or I-) phone? 

 Nope. When I thought of a smart gadget, I thought I wanted a big screen, thus the iPad and the data plan is so much cheaper. Since I don't use my phone much at all, I can get by with 100.00 a year pay as you go plan

5. What do you wish you had--or do not have--in relation to these devices? 

 I wish I could give myself internet breaks more often at home, but I do not. But when I go to the Jesuit Center I am offline the whole time there. Eight days of silence cleanses my soul from the internet. Ironically I use my phone more often... I call home every night and chat with Mosaic Woman

Bonus: What is the difference between your attitude towards these means of technology and a generation older or younger than you? 

From younger folk, I don't play games or text. I think I have incorporated technology in my classroom more than most teachers my age and older.

4 comments:

  1. I will be doing the A to Z Blogging Challenge and tonight I am out visiting some of the blogs on the list to see whom I might want to follow. I really liked your Friday Five. Eight Days of silence sounds like heaven, but I don't know if I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula ~ thanks for the visit. Hope the April challenge inspires each of us

      Delete
  2. Love those gates! Enjoyed the post, I wouldn't mind be tech for a little bit, but it's amazing how dependent we've become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol ~ it surely takes a day or two to get used to being tech free when I go on retreat

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.