Friday, March 29, 2013

This year's Watch ~ foiling and praying




I am not so hot with sitting still and so I entered my studio at 10:00 this morning. At that time seven pieces had been foiled. By 11:05, all were done.
Near the beginning I read a reflection by Fr. James Martin, SJ. It asked us to consider the human side of Jesus pondering a failure as he suffered. Had his ministry been for nothing? Where do we see ourselves failing? Some students came to mind. But no matter the journey they have taken this school year, I'll have hope for their future. Maybe that hope is what has allowed me to continue on as a special education teacher for 26 years.

I also took a break from the foiling to browse scripture, this passage from Matthew struck me ~


"Go and learn the meaning of the words: Mercy is what pleases me, not sacrifice. And indeed I came to call not the upright, but sinners."


Ironic. Sad. To come with a message of saying sacrifice is not what God wants, then to be asked to sacrifice his life. Can we be grateful? Can we experience the joy of Easter?

And surely jazz was flowing as I prayed and foiled. A few years back a friend gave me a CD, Jazz Meets Hymns by Juju Song. Wish I could have found a video of Were You There When They Crucified My Lord, but I did find this ~

May our prayers take us into deeper places.

4 comments:

  1. Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.

    i listened to the music...
    here's one for you

    http://youtu.be/FKkaydihNTM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know??? I thought about quilting during my hour, but wasn't sure if that would be kosher. I guess it would have been.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.