Friday, July 24, 2015

just because your destination is gone; arriving at the gate that was nonexistent

top of the a fence post at the Jesuit Center; June 2015; Wayne Stratz

So did I turn back, nope. (see this post about walking to a nonexistent gate)

While the gate was gone, I kept walking. My eye was drawn to the iron fence on either side of the entrance to the Jesuit Center in Wernersville. I started taking photos, until... 

"What are you doing over there!"

The man in the pickup truck was curious. Once I explained who I was and what I was up to, then he explained who he was. A Jesuit, not in charge of spiritual direction, but in charge of the grounds was in the pickup truck. All those stops along the way to the nonexistent fence had created this timely encounter.

"What happened to the fence?"  I guess I had broken Silence, but hey, the Jesuit in the pickup truck had started the conversation.

"Damaged" "Again" "Being restored" "Again" "Hundreds of years old" "From Europe" "Tired of being damaged" "Uncertainty of its future home at the center." "But... it will be used on the grounds"

And thus, by being nonexistent, it became known;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.