Saturday, August 7, 2010

I don't dig absolutes... going deeper into 1 Corinthians 15:10

Enigma Of The Absolute



Last weekend I blogged about how a certain cake and the grace of God have influenced me, and in that post I placed the first words from this passage...

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them—though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (italics are mine)


Now when speaking of science and faith and jazz, I try not to say absolutes... never, all, none, always. There is likely to be an example waiting around the corner to prove me wrong. No mammals do this... God is always... There are no fish that... Count Basie never...

None have worked harder than me... now there are some words that I could never say. I also would have a hard time with the "has not been in vain." God's gift of grace is often in vain when it comes to my life of imperfection. 20 years of unbelief, my missing years, and those moments that still fill my days.

So I can only hope for absolutes... God is always forgiving of our lost moments. Who knows?

The above photo was found on flickr when I searched for "absolutes" and is aptly called... Enigma Of The Absolute


and what music flowed through me while writing this...

7 Count Basie videos provided by elements of jazz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.