Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jazz in the classroom... Moanin' with trinomials

It was the last week of summer school, a play, some absences, and a bit of this and that had my math class down to two students. I sat down between them and decided to teach them how to factor trinomials. They were getting it and were working independently when one let out a large moan.

"Why did you moan?"

"I didn't moan"

"When was the last time you lied to me?"

Then the jazz switch went off in my brain and I was talking jazz, and Art Blakey and jazz messengers, and Bennie Golson setting up an all Philly band and within 30 seconds, the room was jamming and factoring.


3 comments:

  1. Excellent! But what happened to wordless Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Roseanne Roseannadanna.... never mind! I just didn't look far enough. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, it was an excellent moment

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.