Monday, November 8, 2010

I have been asked these questions about myself

47  93/365  --- self-portrait success


It is likely that I am going to be a featured crafter on a blog in a few weeks, since I had to type up some answers, I will try a few of them out here:

1) Please tell us a bit about yourself – where you live, the name of your business. (and how you chose your shop name), what you sell, etc.


I live in Lansdale in a one bedroom two studio row home. My wife and business partner, Margaret Almon, came up with our name, Nutmeg Designs. Nutmeg has nothing to do with our craft, but all to do with an old nickname. Design is what we love to do. I primarily sell stained glass suncatchers and small panels. I collaborate with Margaret on mosaic signs. I design the lettering and numbers and cut out the pieces. Then I hand them to Margaret, who glues them down and does the background creating the mosaic.


3) Of all your creations, what is your favorite? And why?


My favorite design is now known as the Dr. Ed Mandala. It is named in memory of a good friend who died of pancreatic cancer. The last time I saw him in public was at a craft show and he bought a mandala. Soon after he died, I named it after him and have donated 30% of all sales to pancreatic cancer research.



4) What is your favorite possession, and why do you cherish it?


Got to go with two and they both came from my grandmothers. Mamie was a quilter and I own a few of them. She was the first crafter I knew. The Log Cabin quilt in blues, which she made for Margaret and I, is the one we use. From Mom Mom I got years of strudel and the lesson on how to make it. She taught me shortly before she had a stroke and that day spent in her kitchen is seen as a blessing for sure. I am the one who now makes it for our family.


5) Is there something special you collect? (If so, photos are very welcome!)


Back in the day it was baseball cards then books. Now it is craft with a special love of Scherenschnitte and art ceramic tiles. Some say I have a good jazz collection.


7) Where do you hope to be, personally and in your artistic endeavors, in say 10 years time?


Seeing my teaching career coming to an end and seeing my crafting career soaring. I want to do special projects where someone tells me of a concern for a loved one and I take that into my studio and create a moment of hope out of glass.


What do you want to know?

4 comments:

  1. Well, you have already created that moment of hope in your studio, and it hangs in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing - neat to get to know you a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your answer to number 7 the best. Very moving.

    Sounds like you value what is most precious, too. Glad both your grandmothers left something so wonderful to be carried on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin--- Yes, it is something I already do, and somehow want to get the word out that it is a service/ministry I can do for others

    Deb--- thanks for taking the time to visit

    Snowcatcher--- less than a year ago we awoke to a huge fire across the street, at no time did I think about grabbing stuff. I just told Margaret to get dressed in case we needed to get out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.