Saturday, July 21, 2012

Autumn Leaves, a jazz improvised mosaic inspired by Patricia Barber



Years ago I came across a jazz CD while browsing a local library, Patricia Barber's Night Club.  It quickly became a favorite.  Ms Barber plays piano, sings, arranges old and new songs, composes, and awes me with her talents.  She is on my list of highly favored musicians to see in concert one day.  In the spring time, I listened to her tunes while I designed a mandala while I was in the midst of a silent moment at Wernersville.


When it came time to name the piece I remembered her splendid version of Joseph Kosma's tune that first appeared in a French movie.  And it seemed right.  Johnny Mercer translated the lyrics to English.



This evening I made a deal with Mosaic Woman, I would take on dinner if she posted a piece of our art to our ETSY shop.  My was pleased when I found out she chose my version of the tune, which is now in our mandala section.

as for the tune and musician who inspired it, please take a listen...



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Robin ~ thanks, for now it is one of a kind.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely piece! (both, actually) I love how you're organized your shop. The new orange banner immediately made me think of Nutmeg, and the Emily Dickenson and Rainbow Starflower are my absolute favs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowcatcher ~ Margaret gets credit for the banner. That rainbow piece may be our best collaboration to date

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.