Tuesday, August 14, 2007

closure by Julian



JULIAN OF NORWICH
photo by Leo Reynolds



Ok, so one benefit of living half of a block from your church is that with 12 minutes to go before service, I can say, "I need a mystic, and Julian of Norwich will guide me."

I trust Julian because I recently wrote a paper in which I reflected on Jesus meeting up with the Samaritan woman at the well. I chose Julian from the four mystics we studied in the class and every time I needed some insight Julian was there for me. I found her writings and started looking. Ok, yes this wasn't fair to the woman growing anxious at the church wondering if I was going to show up to sermonize, but by the time the service was over she was thanking me for preaching.

At one point my hands were shaking a bit, and I needed two hands to steady my notes, but the practice at home in the kitchen paid off. It flowed and I truly felt appreciated by my friends at Holy Trinity.

so how did it end? This is what Julian suggested and I went with it:

"And so our good Lord answered to all the questions and doubts which I could raise, saying most comfortingly: I may make all things well, and I can make all things well, and I shall make all things well, and I will make all things well; and you will see yourself that every kind of thing will be well."
and so with hope we can take on our doubts because they may be made well with faith in a God who can make the invisible become visible.

And, yes, my conditional friend showed up and tonight she stopped by for tomatoes, basil, and chives. I made no conditions but accepted the offer to try the tomato pie she plans to make with our bounty. When I went outside to garden, I could not have imagined watching her young children running laps on M's stepping stones as I cut fresh herbs. Life is good for I feel blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.