Monday, December 26, 2011

Propioception in the studio: Science Mondays



We try to be mindful humans, but there are some things we should just let the mind take care of by itself.  Like our sense of where our body is in space.  I can close my eyes, and move my arms about and know clearly where they are, just as if I was staring at it with open eyes.  I can fling them about and prevent collisions by way of propioception.  I know I am walking, whether or not my eyes are open and if I try to control exactly where my feet will land, my gait will lose its fluidity.  Welcome to your 6th sense.

Not that I should cut glass with my eyes closed, but I should trust my body to find a natural and comfortable position while doing it.

Until we can do that our backs will ache.  So for now we are trusting a multitude of timers to remind us that time is passing.  The timer goes off and I stretch as I reset it.  We float between studio and computer glad to know where we are in space and time.

Those who lack propioception will likely fall down if they close their eyes.  The sensors in their muscles will not tell the brain that they are standing and they will topple.  Taking large doses of vitamin B6 will let a person know this feeling, a clear example of too much of a good thing is not a good thing.

So sit back and close your eyes and be glad to know where your body is in space. It is a blessing we rarely give thanks for, eyes to see, ears to hear, ... muscles to locate ourselves.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I did close my eyes. Sixth sense is pretty interesting. Some have a better sixth sense than others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Therapeutic massage enhances proprioceptive awareness, not just for the receiver but for the giver. Good for backaches too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol--- thanks for the visit. hoping you did not fall over ;')

    Walk2write--- thanks for this wonderful advice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.