Saturday, June 4, 2011

Vlog: Red with Billy Child's Wheelbarrow






Red Wheelbarrows are important:

Driving up I-95 in fall 2007, while on tour, I was struck by the stark beauty of the New England autumn - the red, orange, gold, green, and yellow leaves of the tress rushing by the car window, the small clearings, the little pathways. It brought to mind the William Carlos Williams poem The Red Wheelbarrow and I knew that this project would be an impressionistic depiction of what I'd experienced on that drive. I wanted to capture, not just a sense of autumn but also the movement of autumn - wind blowing leaves as they spiral through the air in little eddies, the drumming of the rain as it hits the brown earth, the stillness of a lonely red wheelbarrow in the middle of an open meadow. Billy Childs

The poem that came to Billy Childs, is a poem on my classroom wall:

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
William Carlos Williams

3 comments:

  1. You seem to be having fun with these. I love that William Carlos Williams poem. This makes for a very nice post Wayne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that poem in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie and Robin--- glad you are fans of the poem too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.