Saturday, December 27, 2008

immortality... is like a bright light in a dark room?



Immortal genes have withstood the test of time. Mathematically they should not exist. Mutations occur more often than we think. In fact it is estimated that each of us on average have 175 mutations among the 7 billion letter code our DNA carries. We are all mutants in one way or another.
so it goes like this... There are more than 500 genes that all life have in common. From the bacteria living in our digestive tract to the carrots we eat, to us, to whatever pet you ever owned. A mutation that shows a very very very slim benefit will survive (except for random events). These immortal genes remain even though mutations should have changed us completely from bacteria. For much more on this read The Making of The Fittest by Sean B. Carroll.
The last time the adult group met at Holy Trinity we spoke of the "church" but ended with eternal life. Humans so want to be immortal.
I like a simile Joe Paprocki makes about purgatory in his book, A Well Built Faith, even if I don't know if I believe in purgatory. Being met by God's cleansing love is like a bright light being turned on after we have adjusted to the dark. Paprocki claims it is painful and that is why Catholics pray for those in such a place. I can sense this. Can you imagine leaving this world to another? Being met with a forgiveness we can only imagine? Who knows it may be a gentle slide, but it could be quite a rough transition.
I was cleaning out my studio today and ventured back into a deep thin closet. In the dark, I grabbed a large frame and then brought it out to the light. I can't say that it is a highly favored photo and it may be why I never wear bright red these days. But lately I look at this ghost of myself and ask, "did you know what was going to hit you." He didn't. He may have thought it was hip to wear a red jacket and a bow tie, or he may have thought it was the worst thing he would ever go through. A mutation would change his life. Some mutated genes are not meant to be immortal. Without doctors I would have died.

Today I walked a few steps over to Mosaic Woman's studio and said, "I think I will hang this up."
She said, "Go for it."

5 comments:

  1. Mutated genes. You've been hanging around with me too long, buddy. I like the picture. My wife has one of me hanging on the wall behind me taken when I was no more than two, I suppose. One of her when she was about nine hang beside it. My favorite, though, is a nursery graduation certificate awarded me from that Lutheran church back about 1946. It's framed and hanging in the living room. Much mutation since 1946.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been envisioning sitting down with God, and hearing him gently ask me to tell Him my life, good and bad, - the latter without the excuses or justifications. "Just tell me what happened..."

    Gentle but thorough...

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Fluffy does look like she should be on a silk pillow being fed little delicacies. But looks are misleading in this case - she's a very efficient little predator!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim--- it was fun discovering this and even more fun deciding to hang it.

    Michelle-- I too imagine that, but I wonder if I will be ready to talk. I think that is where the pain enters, if it does... Being faced with such love and not being able to accept it. Tis a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would suspect that you didn't pick the clothes but I like the picture.

    I think of that forgiveness often especially since it is not a strength of mine. I'm still steamed at my brother over a pizza order yesterday - how stupid is that? It is another one of the mysteries that give me lots to ponder.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.