Monday, November 17, 2008

I'll be seeing you... a sentimental post

The two e-mails that greeted me at work were not unexpected, pancreatic cancer will finally take the last breath of those we care for, and services follow...

My friend lasted three times as long as he was given, but in the end he was placed in a comfortable chair and as his family read psalms and encouraged him to let go... he took that last breath. I am in awe of this journey, this end.

Without Ipod to provide jazz, I grab the one CD that is in the car. Finally the last track arrives and the music reaches into my heart... Regina Carter, thank you.

I'll be seeing you, my friend, as I stand by the red and the yellow day lilies you loved so much. The ones I divided to thin out of your wife's garden soon after I heard the news. I transported them from your garden to the school and then students, who cared, placed them into the ground. I will let everyone know to stop by next summer when they bloom. I will remember you.

Last night I read about flowers at graves. The author wondered why.

I say this... they remind us of the beauty in those who have left us.


...

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you lost a friend. Flowers will be a lovely reminder - I have so many plants that are precious memories.

    A friend recently moved and I kept his plants in my garden for two years until his life was more permanent. I then packed up divisions and mailed them to him so that he would have his memories.

    My thoughts are with you and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gannet Girl and Kathryn--- far from the best way to start a work week... I had to be vigilant in watching my tolerance level for nonsense in my classroom... it was way down.

    The man was blessed to have had a family that traveled with him to the very end. To die in a favored chair with psalms and the comfort the hospice team could provide... over a hospital bed with monitors.

    I was not thinking about the flowers when I started the post. Blogging has become a time of reflection.

    And it was the 4th or 5th read through before I remembered what I had read the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about the loss of your friend Stratoz. My husband lived so long with pancreatic cancer (five years) that the American doctors were convinced the Italians had misdiagnosed it. They hadn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beryl--- It is stories of those who survive longer than expected that lend hope. Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.