Friday, February 15, 2013

Talking Lent with the RevGals


The RevGals prompted me ~ 
1. Oddly this year, the second day of Lent was Valentine's Day. How was this for you? Was Valentine's Day any different being in Lent?


Nope, we decided at the last minute to go out.  A long line at the first restaurant turned us sour so we ventured into a new place that supports local farms and had a feast.  We have been trying to eat out less this month after a bit too much last month, so it was nice to have a spontaneous big date.


2. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday this year? Any memories of memorable celebrations past?


Yes indeed.  Both of our cultures were celebrated.  Growing up I experienced my grandmother doing the PA German thing of making amazing donuts called fascnachts which we had as a snack when I got home from teaching.  Margaret then made pancakes which is how things were celebrated in Canada where she grew up.


3. How about Ash Wednesday, past and/or present?  

For the first time in years I did not go to a service, however, I did see a friend on Wednesday who I had not seen since 1986.  I'll bet that God is OK with my decision to make my buddy pizza.


4. Do you have a personal plan of give-ups, take-ons, special ministries, and/or a special focus for your own spiritual growth between now and Easter?

I gave up news for Lent, well at least during my commutes.  I will keep up on science news for the sake of my students.  It is not everyday a meteroric sonic boom disrupts the planet.


5. Do you have a book or a website you are reading often during Lent?


Nope, I just hope to do my examen most evenings.


Bonus:  Song, prayer, picture, etc. that sums up your feelings about this liturgical springtime.


Today my news-free commute was filled with the songs of Lynn Myles.  This morning a student needed a liitle attention, so as my assistant monitored students counting seedlings (experiment) and others made a soil mix in the classroom, we ventured out into the balmy 50 degree temp and pruned an apple tree.  As we walked back up I took notice of the first crocus of spring.  Driving home, Ms Miles' song about a change in season brought me back to the moment earlier in the day.




  



4 comments:

  1. I love the song, thanks! Pizza works well for Ash Wednesday—or any Wednesday!!! I've missed a few Ash Wednesday liturgies, still mostly due to church-related pain. Blessed Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River song ~ she is a wonderful singer hope you have time to explore more of her music. Peace and hope

      Delete
  2. Wondered where you were on Wednesday but glad it was a night w/a friend. Saw an interesting idea in paper on Ash Wednesday: clergy at train stations in/around Philly, providing "Ashes to Go." According to the article, LOTS of folks took advantage of the opportunity to get ashes before going to work. "We have to meet the people where they are."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red ~ I heard about the train station. I liked it

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.