Monday, December 24, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things 2 ~ color vision


on etsy shop

In church on Sundays the prayers ask us to reflect on what we are grateful for in our lives.  Things come and go, but I am often feeling blessed for experiencing colors.

There are those who are born without it and there are diseases that will take it way.  Apparently the latter fall into depression as their world enters a place of grays.

We grow up thinking everything witnesses the world as we see it.  But that is far from the truth.  There are blind cave critters.  Birds and insects stretch out a visual spectrum wider than ours.  But in the world of mammals it is rare to see as much color as we do.  Some distant relative of a primate had a mutation and ran with it.  We are blessed to see this world, even if at times they see horrific things.

I created the above piece to celebrate my neighbors surviving a fire and returning to be our neighbors.  Five family homes, connected by the walls of a row house and the trauma of a fire, became a place for me to create a rainbow.  Thinking about colors reminded me of this piece.  For it is a single piece whether it spread among five families or placed on etsy to raise money for the firefighters that caught my eye.



9 comments:

  1. the first thing i thought of upon seeing the photo, was a dancer leaping through the air.

    i'm with you on this favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance ~ thanks, splendid image of a dancer leaping into colors has been placed into my head.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to imagine a world without color. Thank you for reminding me what a gift it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken ~ thanks for stopping by. I hope I can remember more gifts to celebrate.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your outlook on things :) Wishing you very happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol ~ thanks. I hope my outlook continues to bring others joy, would be plain wrong for it to create sadness. May your holidays be splendid

      Delete
  4. Rainbow was my first thought when all I could see what the photo. (slow dial-up; takes a while for everything to load) Rainbows are some of the best happiness bridges in the world!
    A symbol of God's hope and promise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are marvelous... used to see billions and billions when we lived in Oregon

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.