Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things 5 ~ simple conversations and pizza


I am fine with  8 days of silence*.  I generally don't enjoy large crowds.  The angst leading up to going to a large gathering of people can find me wondering why I said I would go to a party.  Mosaic Woman and I have this in common.  The other night there were ten of us gathered about a table.  It was a group I knew well for the most part and that was fine.

What I truly dig though is sitting together with one friend and sharing our stories.  

Having a couple over is our kind of party here in our one bedroom two studio row house.  Tonight will be our 22nd pizza event of the year.  Not sure how it came to be, but it started early in 2012 and pushed us to keep a constant flow of invites flowing into the universe.  Many of the 50+ people who have come over were never here before.  What a blessing it has been getting to know friends a bit better.  

Tonight will be a couple whom we have met through being artists.  In fact all four of us are artists, two full-time.  They have never been here before.

Saturday night it will happen again.  It will be special.  The friends are ones we gathered with on a regular basis before they moved to California.  At the beginning of the year, we did not imagine them moving back east, but they have and after a few attempts we finally got them on a free night.  What a way to end this year of pizza.

What a blessing to have acted upon the desire to feed and to get to know so many people a bit better. We have never come close to anything like this before.  The list of folk with get stretched on and on.  Who knows how many people will sit and talk with us?  In the process this house is gaining some good karma.

*One reason I am fine with those days of silence ~ the one hour a day I get to sit 1:1 with a spiritual director.  That is heaven to me.




11 comments:

  1. two sounds like a good number of people. not to many that you can not talk to all, not too few for them to feel out of place.

    these positive post inspire me in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nance ~ thanks for the encouragement. The plan is to do one for everyday of my break.

      Delete
  2. Being an introvert, I totally understand the whole party thing. That said, you're right, conversations with friends can be the most wonderful blessings. Dan and I keep toying with the idea of intentional hospitality on a regular basis with people we don't normally gather with. We haven't yet put it into practice though. I'm glad to se that the two of you are doing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie ~ just ended a splendid five hour conversation with folk we thought we would enjoy spending time with. Hope your desire to be hospitable leads to nights like we just had this evening.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of your pizza events. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara ~ it has made us aware of how many goof people can enter a life. Tis a blessing.

      Delete
  4. You, Mosaic Woman and I have the crowd thing in common. What a great idea that pizza thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy ~ we just sat in a diner and made plans for the new year which included a list of folk who did not make it in 2012 for pizza

      Delete
    2. Daisy ~ we just sat in a diner and made plans for the new year which included a list of folk who did not make it in 2012 for pizza

      Delete
  5. We'd much prefer the smaller gatherings, too. (Sounds like we need to go east or you two need to come west sometime!) But that pizza... boy, I think I'd walk (or bike) quite a few miles for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowcatcher ~ too many a friend lives too far away to invite over, but we are blessed with a multitude thare close by

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.