Thursday, January 20, 2011

Crafting On Thursday--- using Youghiogheny Glass

Last week I blogged about my trip to the Youghiogheny glass factory in western Pennsylvania. At that time I showed what looked liked a sea of sea glass but which in reality was broken bits of glass thrown out into the elements (including shoes and tires) outside of the factory. At that time I promised to show how I have used some of that glass. The cool thing about the glass is the variation within one sheet. So when I decided to do a doodling with glass (no design, just cut pieces then make something up) with one type, I got this --->


Wayne Stratz doodles with glass

Much simpler were two patchwork designs that I made and sold (the one above has sold too!) using a variety of Youghiogheny glass --->

47  140/365  scrapwork quilt Youghiogheny style
Wayne Stratz a patchwork of youghiogheny glass



My two highly favored mandala designs both have a large place where I love to highlight a piece of fancy glass:

a close up of a Dr. Ed Mandala I just finished --->

47  170/365 focussing in on the blue
a Dr Ed mandala by Wayne Stratz, with blue youghiogheny glass



My Sophia Mandala ---->


47  103/365  the return of the Sophia mandala
A Sophia Spiral Mandala by Wayne Stratz



Yesterday my wordless Wednesday featured one sheet of Youghiogheny glass. Since I took that photo, I have cut out 8 pieces which are now sitting paptiently in a work in progress. So look at that sheet, then you can imagine a bit of what this will look like when it is finished and lifted into the light.


6 comments:

  1. I can see why you love working in glass so much! I would find it hard to cut into some of those pieces though (much like some fabrics... I have to keep telling myself "scissors are my friend").

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I kept scrolling, the more I kept oohing and aahing. I love the shapes you use, and the colors you put together are always so catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving the vertical piece! BIG change from your "usual" work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie--- I know I could just put hooks on a pig piece of funky glass and sell it--- some do, but what fun is that.

    Snowcatcher--- thanks

    Red--- yes, not my typical thing but I do keep returning to straight edges from time to timr

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful. What a wonderful piece and I love the colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blu--- thanks for the visit and kind words

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.