Thursday, April 21, 2011

Q is for Quit, Quality, and Quintet



Quitting can be positive, as one blogger put it recently... Blogging every day about a LETTER is destroying my blog quality. So step way, and they did. I have survived so far by falling a letter behind and doing a few reversals of letters.

We are called to become our true selves and that takes much quitting. The hard part is seeing what habits, attitudes, and people are holding us back. Stoicism seemed like a great friend, and can be, but I may have had a bit too much residing in my soul. Blogging without words about Oregon yesterday reminded me about quitting too. It was there that I gave up what took years to step away from, yes, stepping away, another hard part.

But stepping away brings us quality, which I will not try to explain (if I remember properly, in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert Pirsig described a mental breakdown he had when he tried to understand quality).

But my life has improved by being a quitter and hopefully people get a sense of that when they meet me (not just the stuff I still need to walk away from).

The Jesuits have taught me to see it this way. Walk towards the people, places, and things that guide you to God. It ain't easy, but you deserve it.

Joy, Hope, Peace, and Love.

And a quintet answers the question, What about me, could my life get better if I quit?



After writing the title to this blog, it reminded me of the title of a favored standard.


7 comments:

  1. Q is such a hard letter to write about. I'm glad to have made it this far in the a to z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I firmly believe in holy quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your words of Q wisdom and Q ... quality

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie--- I am set for the rest of the alphabet, though who knows what will happen

    Di--- quitting and drumming will get you far

    Sonya--- how kind. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw the title to your post, I thought, "Oh, Mosaic Woman's Q is better than your Q!" But this was good. I did that quitting thing a couple of times, too, and you're absolutely right. It does bring better things. And I've enjoyed what I've been able to see of your alphabet. You always inspire deeper thinking. And a few ooooohs and aaaaaahs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Q for me would have to be Quiet. Love my peace and quiet. Our dogs are named after Louie Armstrong and Miles Davis and we celebrated Miles' 5th birthday Friday with a photo slideshow set to Miles Davis' Doxy.
    http://jayayceeblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/cinco-de-miles.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. jayaycee--- I like your dogs already

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.