Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jazz on Tuesdays--- K is for Kickstarter

Mosaic Woman took care of J is for Jazz, so I will do J tomorrow.

It is all about supporting artists and becoming a part of their success. Launching their success. It is about musicians, who want to pay their band and their engineers a good salary. It is about dreams that have been percolating in a creative mind that is connected to a soul lacking funds. It is about being joyful when success is reached. It may one day be about the sadness of a project that does not get funding. I hope to miss out on that feeling. So far we are four for four. It all happens at Kickstarter.

The second project was jazz by Jim Kuermmerle. Blogged here. The project is complete. The music is amazing.

The third project was fully funded so it was recorded last weekend. The leader, a bass player by the name of Daniel Ori.

The fourth project was one I began to have doubts in being success. Pledges were flowing in but time was running out. My hope was that someone out there was waiting with a big check to push Reginald Cyntje over the top. Well I just read his blog post about all the hard work it took.

This morning I was stopped by a long red light and a commuter train and the news was not inspiring me, so I grabbed the iPod and wondered what to listen to, what to listen to??? Well my new twitter friend, spoonysdiary (great music blog) was talking about Jason Parker. Yes, Jason was our first project at Kickstarter and the only one I had with me. I never got past the first tune on this tribute to the songs of Nick Drake. It was so perfect for a morning commute (and then an afternoon commute) it played over and over. Jason hands over the feel of the album to his band. In fact, he appears to have trusted his piano player immensely with making a first impression. Then the drums and bass enter in and when the singer showed up I was fully enraptured. Jason's trumpet does not come in until after a few minutes, but it shows that he was listening to what his band was up to and his playing melted my heart.


and the Nick Drake Lyrics that resonated with my troubled mind:

Time has told me
You’re a rare, rare find
A troubled cure
For a troubled mind
And time has told me
Not to ask for more
For someday our Ocean
Will find it’s shore
So I’ll leave the ways of making me be
What I really don’t want to be
Leave the ways that are making me love
What I really don’t want to love
Time has told me
You came with the dawn
A soul with no footprint
A rose with no thorn
Your tears they tell me
There’s really no way
Of ending your troubles
With things you can say
And time will tell you
To stay by my side
To keep on trying
‘til theres no more to hide
So leave the ways that are making you be
What you really don’t want to be
Leave the ways that are making you love
What you really don’t want to love
Time has told me
You’re a rare, rare find
A troubled cure
For a troubled mind
And time has told me
Not to ask for more
For someday our ocean
Will find its shore

3 comments:

  1. Hey Wayne,

    I never thought to market the CD as a rush-hour beating tool...brilliant!

    Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm so glad you dig the music. It's a dream come true project for me and I'm thrilled when people respond to it.

    Cheers,
    Jason
    http://oneworkingmusician.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason--- let me say that When The Day Is Done is a fine commute home tune :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the introduction! That was a marvelous transformation, from rush hour to magical music and lyrics. I don't think anyone who has ever commuted would fail to connect with this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Stratoz. I dig comments. Feel free to leave one here.